The mobile phone is rapidly bringing communication to the most remote areas of the world. NGOs, governments and companies alike are beginning to realize the potential of this ubiquitous tool to address a variety of global challenges. This four-week online professional development certificate course, which has been featured in the New York Times and Fast Company, will explore successful applications that facilitate economic transactions, transform agricultural processes, support public health campaigns and connect learners to educational content. It will also critically engage with issues of equity, privacy and access. Participants can expect a dynamic learning environment with a number of real-world case studies, custom animations and video tutorials, interactions with leading experts in the field and practical simulations to apply new skills and strategies.
Want more information? Over 400 professionals from over 60 countries have taken it already: read a blog post review by a former participant here, and the success story of another alum who got a job after taking this course here.
Course Topics and Featured Tech
- Mobile Platforms and Strategies to Collect, Manage, and Analyze Data (Magpi, OpenDataKit, FrontlineSMS)
- Banking the Unbanked: the Promise of Mobile Money Systems and Looking Beyond M-PESA
- mAgri: The Potential for Mobile Phones to Transform Agriculture (mFarm, Nokia Life Services)
- mHealth: Mobile Tools for Diagnostics, Point of Care Support, Patient Adherence, and Other Public Health Purposes (D-Tree, Medic Mobile)
- New Approaches to Mobile Surveys & Polling (formhub, GeoPoll)
- Mobile Learning: Best Practices for Education on the Move
Participants will be able to…
- Critically analyze opportunities and challenges when working with mobile technology to address social problems in agriculture, public health, education and finance sectors
- Connect relevant development, humanitarian and peacebuilding theories to application of mobile technology strategies and tools
- Identify and apply appropriate tools and design effective strategies to incorporate mobile technology in global response to social challenges
- This course is delivered entirely online over a period of four weeks.
- This course features several live interactive expert presentations each week with leading practitioners, software developers, academics, and donors.
- Every live event is recorded and archived for you to watch later.
- This course also features a unique hands-on learning environment with animated videos, technology demos, practical activities, networking events, office hours, participant presentations, immersive simulations, and more.
- TechChange recommends budgeting a minimum commitment of 5-7 hours per week and scheduling time for the course around your existing obligations.
- Participants will have access to all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.