How has technology changed the way data are collected and the way surveys are deployed? Organizations, agencies and companies are just beginning, digital data collection skills are in high demand.
Data collection is the building block of M&E work. The data collected determines the value of analysis and the impact that can be measured. Digital survey tools have added new elements to survey design, such as skip logic, data validation, and decision trees. New technologies, such as biometrics, remote sensors, and satellite imagery, provide additional tools for data collection and identifying beneficiaries. Understanding these tools, how to design and deploy digital surveys, and how to combine active and passive data collection is necessary to maximize the value from data collection effort.
This four week online certificate course will feature live interactive guest expert presentations with leading M&E practitioners, software developers, and data scientists. It will also include a unique hands-on learning environment with animated videos, technology demos, practical activities, networking events, immersive simulations and more.
As part of the course, participants will go through the process of creating a data collection plan and deploying a mobile survey. Participants will get feedback from guest experts, facilitators, and fellow participants.
After this four week course participants will be able to:
- Articulate the strengths and weaknesses of different data collection tools, including mobile devices, biometrics, and remote sensors, and drones
- Identify key concerns for a data collection plan, including, but not limited to: audience, literacy, bias, security risks
- Design and deploy a digital survey for a mobile device using advanced techniques, such as skip logic and branching question trees
- Compare data collection software and select the best software for your data collection needs
- Assess technical and human constraints for a data collection plan
- Manage data collection enumerators using tools for remote monitoring the data collection
- Develop self-confidence in working with new tools to collect data
- This course is delivered entirely online over a period of four weeks.
- This course features several live interactive expert presentations each week with leading practitioners, software developers, academics, and donors.
- Every live event is recorded and archived for you to watch later.
- This course also features a unique hands-on learning environment with animated videos, technology demos, practical activities, networking events, office hours, participant presentations, immersive simulations, and more.
- TechChange recommends budgeting a minimum commitment of 5-7 hours per week and scheduling time for the course around your existing obligations.
- Participants will have access to all course content for at least 4 months after course completion so the material can be completed and revisited later.